The Round House and Pink Cottage

The Round House and Pink Cottage
Fawley
RG9 6JF

Originally one property called Round House Farm in the ownership of the Freemans of Fawley Court. The earliest part is a timber-framed cottage (Pink Cottage) of one bay with a large inglenook fireplace and formerly external stack on the south side, which it shares with the adjoining circular chalk block building (Roundhouse). This elegant 18th-century building (brick and flint base, brick cornice, tiled roof)  was erected by John Freeman, confirmed by the date stone of 1730 and his initials. It seems to be very much part of the John Freeman building campaign of the period including Fawley Court Farm which has the date stone of 1737 and the same initials. The Roundhouse addition to the existing farmstead may have been intended as an eye-catcher, as well as providing additional accommodation.

Grid Reference: SU75818744
Parish: Fawley
Surveyed in: 1986
Report written by: Ruth Gibson
Sort key: FAW-UNK-ROU