Buildings Research with Summaries
2 Bell Lane
The Old Bell, 20 Bell Street
77 – 79 Bell Street
The Bear, 77-79 Bell Street (Rear South Range)
The Bear, 77-81 Bell Street
The Bear, 81 Bell Street
The Bear (Building Dates)
82 Bell Street
84 Bell Street
93 – 95 Bell Street
The Chantry House
14 – 14a Friday Street
14A Friday Street – Dendro dating
16 Friday Street
Anchor Inn, 58 Friday Street
This is an old pub close by to the river
9 – 11 Gravel Hill
Button Jugs, 19 Gravel Hill
43 – 45 Gravel Hill
20 – 22 Greys Road
The Old White Hart
25 Market Place
The Old Broad Gates
59 Market Place
59 Market Place Malthouse
61 Market Place
46 Northfield End
Bottle & Glass, Binfield Heath
A thatched, timber framed farm house of two bays originally to which a further bay was added creating a lobby-entry plan. The entrance lobby abuts an enclosed, narrow, turned staircase, supported by the large brick stack. It became a P.H. and the adjacent farm buildings, called Bournes Farm, became separated probably in the 18th century. Good quality framing, chamfer stops, oak panelled walls, 17th cox-combe door hinges to enclosed stair. The upper floors were not inspected.
Bournes Farm Barn, Binfield Heath
It consisted of a timber-framed, weatherboarded barn of originally 3 bays with central threshing floor, to which a porch and a bay were added at each end. Its formerly thatched, half-hipped roof had been replaced with corrugated iron sheeting. The roof trusses consisted of queen strut trusses with clasped purlins. The wall framing had horizontal mid rails and struts, indicating earlier wattle & daub panels. A lean-to on the south side provided a milking parlour. – The building’s former use had ceased, replaced by C20th portal frame structures. It was in a poor state of neglect when we recorded it in 1983.
It was demolished in 1984, later making room for a car park and extensions to the Bottle & Glass P.H
Hollow Tree Cottage
A late timber-framed, two-room cottage of one and a half storeys and a thatched, half-hipped roof. The timbers are of small scantling, square-framed with brick infill. Roof structure not accessible. A stack serves two fireplaces; one room with a copper adjoining the stack having probably served as a kitchen. Outside Privy. Very dilapidated when recorded in 1987. Subsequently Listed II, repaired and later extended.
Hampstead Farm Barns, Binfield Heath
Barn Grounds, Binfield Heath
A group of two barns is all that remains of a small farmstead shown on the Tithe Map of 1840. Both barns are timber-framed with aisles on one side, with queen strut trusses and clasped purlins. Barn I is the most interesting building as it is mostly built from re-used cruck timbers; the arcade posts are constructed from upside-down cruck blades. Cruck buildings are very rare in the Chilterns, but these must have come from a near-by cruck dwelling as transporting very substantial timbers any distance would have been very difficult and costly. The cruck timbers were dendro dated to 1454 by Dr Dan Miles in 1984 and the buildings were subsequently Listed Gd. II in 1985.
Bix Manor Farm
Little Bix Bottom Farm
A two-bay lobby entry plan farmhouse with a number of outbuildings, one of them a large barn ( not recorded as they had a separate equestrian use). It is now located in an isolated position at the T junction of two ancient trackways leading from Bix Common and the Assendon Road to St. James Church (a ruin) and St. Michael’s (an archaeological site mostly below two C20th estate cottages), and beyond to Bix Manor Farm, Pages Farm and what is now the Bix Nature Reserve. Although now a back water, this must have been a major through road from the Thames valley across the Chilterns to the Oxford Vale. The farmhouse is brick and flint built, dating to c. 1600 with a C 18th rear extension, doubling its size.
Flints, Britwell Salome
Grade II Listed, of mid-18th century date. It is a modest flint and brick-built farmhouse. Adjoining this is a timber-framed barn. The latter was being repaired (converted to residential ?) at the time of the HA&HG, Vernacular Architecture Section, visit in 1987. The three-bay barn has trusses of ‘inner curved principals of extraordinary shapes. In a simpler form, the roof type is known since the mid 18th in Oxfordshire. See drawing for details, for the two central trusses, and queen struts in the gables. The farmhouse had originally two-bays, one of them heated by a large fireplace with bread oven, with a lean-to extension at the back.
Cork’s Farm, Eye & Dunsden
A farmstead with brick & flint house and earlier framed wing (hs. not recorded) located on the edge of Dunsden village. A large farmyard, two barns, a granary, and shelter sheds. The barns were in the process of being converted to residential uses and our recording was superficial, mostly through photographs and loan of architect’s drawings. Some internal photographs, post-conversion, were also by the architects. Queen strut trusses in the 5-bay South Barn with evidence of re-used timbers – some may have come from a cruck building.
Fawley Court Farm
The Round House and Pink Cottage
Village farmstead. A group of two barns, stables, a shelter shed and granary adjoin the former farm house, now called Ivy Cottage (see separate report). A new, modest brick farm house was built in 1894. Timber framed, 4-bay barn with timber treshing floor and curved inner principal trusses indicates a mid-18th century date. Detailed research into the occupancy by the Hussey and Prince families by local descendant Harold Hussey of Pheasants Hill Farm, Hambleden; photographs of family members, farm waggon and 1940s tractor.
Fingest Manor Farm
Very likely the home farm of the now vanished medieval manor house. The double aisled, 6-bay barn is the largest in the valley and probably served as a manorial tithe barn. It is timber-framed of queen strut and clasped purlin construction, but with brick and flint work forming the aisled dwarf and gable end walls. The roof is half-hipped and tiled. It has two large porches on the south and north sides. There are several stables around the farmyard (not recorded in detail).
The farmhouse is brick-built, of modest size, but now much extended; it also includes the fabric of a former brick & flint barn on its north side (still clearly indicated by its large blocked central wagon entrance and blocked ventilation slits). The earliest part of the house is of lobby entry plan, indicated by its blocked entrance door into the lobby and former winder stair at the back of the large central stack.
This is the original farm house to the adjoining Fingest Farm (see separate report). A timber framed house of c. 1600 date, with queen struts and clasped purlin trusses. It is brick fronted on the street elevation only, of a three-bay plan with later rear extension, forming a T-shape. The latter was probably added in the 17th century as a kitchen, strongly indicated by the large range and double gable end stacks. Much historical information was added by former tenant farmers and their descendants.
House. Early – mid C18. Knapped flint to front, with brick dressings and dentil eaves; remainder brick with incised line pointing. Plain tile M roof with flanking brick chimneys. Double pile. 2 storeys, cellar and attics; 3 bays. Outer bays have 3-light windows with central metal casements and C20 glazing, the ground floor left window altered with top lights. Both ground floor windows have segmental heads. 2-light window to centre over half-glazed door in C20 gabled wooden porch. Small lower wing to right. Rear has 3-light windows to outer bays, c.1830-40 French doors with arched trellis porch to right, and central staircase window. C20 casement inserted to ground floor right. Small attic casements in gables. Interior: entrance hall has reeded doorcases; rear parlour has similar doorcases with rosettes at corners, and small marble fireplace, all of c,1830-40; front left room has asymmetrical arched recesses flanking altered fireplace. Lower wing has queen strut trusses incorporating timbers from older structure.
Listing NGR: SU7827088142
Mill End Farm
Pheasant’s Hill Farm
Harpsden Court (Appendix)
Hunt’s Farm, Hunt’s Green
Rocky Lane Farm
The Old Cottage
Located in Colmore Lane, on the edge of Kingwood Common. It is of two bays, with later rear outshut. It was built with good quality scantling timbers and good detailing, such as queen strut trusses set on a cambered tie beam, as well as chamfer stops in the ground floor spine beams. Sooting is present on some rafters, but may be this is from the chimney rather than proving that this was an early hall house. Conclusion: a modest farmhouse of good quality, of possible mid 16th century date, which survived as a cottage.
Home Farm, Middle Assendon
Cowfields Farm, Rotherfield Greys
An isolated typical Chiltern farmstead, dating from c. 1500 with a timber framed farmhouse, probably starting as a small hall house, with timber framed wings added over the next two centuries. Adjacent to the north and north/west are two large timber framed barns with other service buildings of various dates, mostly brick built, such as stables, cow sheds, a bullpen, and shelter sheds around the farm yard.
Lower Hernes Farm
Formerly part of the Greys Court Estate. Timber framed farmhouse with decorative brick & flint infill panels, dendro dated to 1567 (contemporary with major building campaign by Francis Knollys at Greys Court). 17th-century extension on the south side forming a T shaped plan. There are two barns, both adjoining the former farmyard. Both are weatherboarded; barn II with flint & brickwork and ventilation slits in its gables. Barn I has a side aisle and queen post trusses; Barn II also has queen posts, slightly curved, no collars. Both were in a poor state of repairs and not all parts were accessible for recording in 1984.
Lower Hernes Farm (Dendrochronology)
New Farm, Rotherfield Greys
Formerly part of the Greys Court estate, built in the 18th century, at the time of the Stapleton ownership. A very substantial farmstead with brick Georgian farmhouse (not recorded) two timber-framed barns with lean-tos, stables brick/flint and timber-framed, a timber-framed granary on staddle stones, a brick dairy and large combination building with fold yards. The major barn is of five bays, with a central wooden thrashing floor, queen struts supporting collar trusses. The adjoining barn is of three bays with raking queen struts. Both barns have porches and opposing exit doors as well as a lean-to. Barn two preserves a manger and manure passage under its lean-to.
Colmore Farm, Rotherfield Peppard
An impressive 5 bay barn, brick and flint with ventilation slots. The trusses are of the Inner Curved Principal type, much used during the 19th century, but also from mid 18th on in our area. Timber-framed milking parlour and stable, the latter also has Inner Curved Principals, a feeding gap and two hoist doors; possibly pre-dates barn, photographs only. Victorian farmhouse – not recorded.
Manor Farm Barn & Stables, Rotherfield Peppard
Formerly known as Sadgrove Farm. Only the barn & stables were recorded (The farmhouse has a brick façade with timber framing visible in the gable. The barn is brick-built with attractive diaper work brick in the gables. Sawn timbers were used in the roof structure and trusses of the inner-principal type. The stable/shed structure consists of 4 bays and is now rather dilapidated; it probably pre-dates the large barn. Only the ground plan and one end gable wall of this building was measured and recorded – see drawings
Thatched Cottage, Shepherds Green
The Plowden Arms
A house of two parts; the smaller one retains a two-bay lobby entry plan with an archway cut through the 4-flue brick stack at ground floor level. It is of good quality scantling timber framing with jowl posts, curved wall braces and chamfer stops in spine beams. A building date of c.1600 is estimated for this build. The larger part is brick built, of double pile with hipped roof and sash windows with 8 over 8 thick glazing bars and exposed sash boxes, all indicating a building date of the mid to late 18th century.
Eyot House, Sonning Eye
The Lilacs, Watlington
A Grade II LB. Late C16th house, L-shaped. Timber-framed with brick infill. The western bay is two rooms deep. The eastern bay has a raised gable, probably added to create a symmetrical façade. There is a central 3 m wide bay creating a lobby entry plan. A three flue brick stack sits across this bay, but allowing central access through its centre to the back of the house ( see g.f. plan drawing) making this a most unusual arrangement.