Old Place formerly Bottom House Farm

Old Place
Kings Farm Lane
Harpsden
RG9 4JE

Old Place, alias Bottom House Farm, Harpsden is shown on the 1586 Blagrave Map of the Harpsden Court Estate. It is located at the western end of the Harpsden Valley, one of the several large farmsteads of this typically dispersed Chiltern parish. The farmhouse is shown as an L-shape, reflecting very much the still existing earliest timber-framed building on this site. This is now dwarfed by several large, mock-Tudor extensions. The farm buildings still shown on the 1842 Tithe map have disappeared, replaced with mock Tudor barns. – The earliest part of the house is a two-bay timber-framed hall, with a large stack separating it from its first extension which is in the form of a small storeyed east wing.

Note: The timber framed barn beside the lane which serves as a garage with accomodation over was imported from northern France and rebuilt there around the year 2000
Grid Reference: SU732804
Parish: Harpsden
Surveyed in: 1986
Report written by: Ruth Gibson
Notes: The timber framed barn beside the lane which serves as a garage with accomodation over was imported from northern France and rebuilt there around the year 2000
Sort key: HAR-UNK-OLD