74, 76 & 78 Bell Street
74-76-78 Bell Street SU 761829
Grade II* Listed
This is a medieval hall with two cross wings. The central, two-bay hall and its cross-passage were dendro-dated to 1405. The northern two-bay wing appears to be of the same date, as it shares its south timber-framed sidewall with the north gable of the hall.
It was built on the edge of ‘Countess Gardens’, possibly on part of the former royal manorial site abandoned by 1381.
Both cross-wings were cut back and the front was rebuilt in brick with parapet c 1800.
The building was owned by Brakspear’s Brewery from the late C18 and was its principal maltings until ca.1900 with a large malt house attached to the back of No.76 (still shown on the 1878 OS map). The malt house was demolished, probably when the house was subsequently divided into 3.
NB No. 74 dendro dated to spring 1569 by Dan Miles October 2020.