Another information panel, No. 4, about Henley’s past has been unveiled at Singers Park
Unveiled in early December, this latest visitor information panel, recording the history of the river crossing here in Henley was researched by HA&HG member Viv Greenwood. Of special local interest, is the comparison between the wooden bridge, as shown in the 1698 painting of Henley from the Wargrave Road by Jan Siberechts, with the view of the ‘new’ Henley Bridge which was completed in 1786.
Other panels include the life of Henley’s brilliant Minister, inventor and engineer, the Revd. Humphrey Gainsborough at the entrance to the Gainsborough Estate, at the top of the town and a plaque recording the many contributions made to Henley by the Makins family, sited at Makins Recreation Ground. The third plaque tells the story of the unlikely survival of the Henley Obelisk and the fifth, now in progress, will focus solely on the Siberechts painting of Henley as seen from Marsh Lock, the original of which is on permanent display at the R. & R.M.