Remenham Farm

Remenham Farm

Remenham Farm is located on the east bank of the Thames in Berkshire. It consists of a C18th double-pile brick farmhouse with later additions, two large barns, and a C19th covered yard and tractor shed, added by the new owners W H Smith (1889 date stone). All have been converted to residential and commercial uses. A former timber-framed granary was removed to a position close to the river, away from the farmyard complex; in 2007 it was vandalized and burned down. The barn to the south of the present farmyard complex appears to be the only survivor, apart from the farmhouse, of the earlier farmstead shown on the 1841 Tithe Map. The barn is of three bays with side aisle, timber-framed with queen strut trusses, and clasped purlins. Interestingly it has an extension on its east side built of cob; a building material not usually found here. – The barn north-east of the covered yard was not investigated as it had been converted to residential, and in separate ownership.

Grid Reference: SU77008420
Parish: Remenham
Surveyed in: 1985
Report written by: Ruth Gibson
Sort key: REM-UNK-REM