Hunt’s Farm

Hunt’s Farmhouse

Hunts Farm, Hunts Green, Harpsden is the only surviving farmstead of the three shown on the 1586 Blagrave Estate Map. The core of the farmhouse is a three-bay cruck hall house, smoke-blackened with its original cruck trusses and low roof only surviving well at the back. A later timber-framed extension of two bays, probably of early C18th date, was added on the east side. The front brick and flint wall probably dates from the time when the house was converted into two cottages in the early/mid C19th.
The timber-framed, weatherboarded, five-bay barn on the east side of the courtyard has roof trusses of the ‘inner curved principals’ type of which other examples are known locally (see Lower Bolney Farm 1750 date on tie beam). The barn is listed as dating to the C17th or earlier, as it has evidence of original wattle & daub infill panels. A shelter shed is attached to its south-bay forming an L-shape with the barn. A C19th brick stable, later used as a dairy, stands on the north side of the yard.
The house and barn were Listed Gd II following the detailed recording of the farmstead and research into its history by the HA&HG based on the 1586 map.

Grid Reference: SU74058070
Parish: Harpsden
Surveyed in: 1986
Report written by: Ruth Gibson
Sort key: HAR-UNK-HUN