Henley Archaeological & Historical Group

Burrow Farm, Hambleden

Burrow Farm

Located high above the Hambleden Valley and consists of the main farm house, a medieval aisled barn, a cottage ( see separate report for Tudor Cottage), a further barn and stables. Formerly in the ownership  of Dame Lady Periam and then Balliol College, it is well documented (see in-depth research by Penelope Olsen for Palmer family – interpretation of buildings, however, is questionable). The brick and flint walled, aisled, timber-framed, and fully hipped barn consists of five bays with two porches. It has been dendro dated to 1443 with crown strut trusses. It is the earliest building. on the site.

The jettied timber-framed farmhouse has a dendro date of 1494, but this is very likely just the surviving chamber wing to an earlier hall house, which was replaced by a tall brick & flint chamber block with newel staircase and large central stack creating a lobby entrance plan between the two parts of the house. Each room has fireplaces, some with a Tudor arch surround, also many original cross-shaped ovolo moulded window. A building date for this part of the house of c 1600 is suggested turning the medieval homestead into a comfortable, one may say luxurious, house.

Grid Reference: SU797856
Parish: Hambleden
Surveyed in: 1985
Report written by: Ruth Gibson
Sort key: HAM-ROT-BUR