Granary Cottage, 78 Bell Street
Grade II* Listed
This is part of a medieval hall with two cross wings. The central, two-bay hall and its cross-passage were dendro-dated to 1405. The northern two-bay wing appears to be of the same date, as it shares its south timber-framed sidewall with the north gable of the hall.
It was built on the edge of ‘Countess Gardens’, possibly on part of the former royal manorial site abandoned by 1381.
Both cross-wings were cut back and the front was rebuilt in brick with parapet c 1800.
No 78 is now a 2 ½ bay cross wing. In the 3rd bay the joists have been cut to create an opening, with corresponding alterations in the roof above. Was this a space for a hoist? (NB much grain was found under the 1st floor and attic floor boards.)
There is a large tension brace in the 1st floor north wall, the same as that seen in the wall opposite, which forms the north gable wall of the hall; demonstrating that both are of one build.
The front attic retains remnants of the former gabled roof, at right angles to the hall. This was cut back, when the house was re-fronted in brick.
Please see separate detailed reports on each cottage and the building as a whole: